Inuit cultural studies II
Program: Inuit studies 0902X
Course code: SSC0089
Culture is at the heart of Inuit identity. Students build on the cultural performing skills learned in Inuit Cultural Studies I as they plan for and implement a ten day trip abroad to share their culture and history with another indigenous group in another country.
- Contribute to an organized fundraising campaign to raise funds for an end-of-year trip.
- Educate the public at home and abroad about Inuit history, geography, culture and politics.
- Perform traditional and contemporary Inuit songs and dances.
- Make and model traditional and contemporary Inuit clothing.
- Teach basic Inuktitut to the general public.
- Perform traditional and contemporary Arctic sports.
- Produce multi-media projects with a focus on traditional and contemporary Inuit culture.
- Participate in a ten day foreign trip to share their culture with indigenous peoples abroad.
- individual instruction
- group rehearsals
- public performances
- making ulus, jewellery, and qaurut (headbands)
- designing and sewing amautis and parkas
- working with sealskins
- producing short videos
- learning traditional and contemporary Inuit songs, drumming, and dances